Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Blank Slate, Full Tummy

Today's the start of new year. A blank slate.

And laying in bed I had big plans for the first breakfast of 2014. That is, until I looked outside.

Blustery snows and 20 degree temperatures. Peering out from my 13th floor apartment, the last thing I want to do is run out to the store for breakfast supplies. 

What I really wanted to do was stay in my pajamas, cuddle up on the couch with a blanket and find a Back To The Future marathon. But I had promised Colin that I'd make breakfast, so before I got comfy on the couch, I had to figure something out.

I did a quick pantry check and breathed a sigh of relief. One of my favorite brunch items was minutes away from becoming a reality.

Since I can remember, my mom has been making Apple Pancake for our family. I've lost count of the times I've woken up to the intoxicating smells of cinnamon and apple sautéing in the pan. This little pancake holds a special place in my heart. So I thought it would be perfect for this special occasion. 


Apple Pancake

5 eggs
1 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup flour (heaping)

6 small apples, peeled, cored and sliced (Note: used mixed variety of apples for best flavor)
4 tablespoons butter, plus 2 tablespoons
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 cup brown sugar, plus 3 tablespoons

Preheat oven to 450 degrees. In a large bowl, whisk the eggs, milk and vanilla together. Gradually add the flour and mix until smooth. Then, in a cast iron skillet, saute the apples and butter until the apples are soft and browned. Add the cinnamon and brown sugar and stir into apples until melted. Pour the egg mixture over the apples and put the pan into the oven for 10 minutes. After 10 minutes, take the skillet out of the oven. Turn on the broiler, and while it's heating up, sprinkle the 2 tablespoons of butter and the 3 tablespoons of brown sugar on the top of the pancake. Place it under the broiler just until sugar is melted.

No comments:

Post a Comment