Sunday, January 5, 2014

The Perfect 'Meatfull' Meal


Yesterday I spent a quiet day at the apartment with Wrigley, hiding from the snow piling up outside. Colin was at a workshop all day, and I knew he would be getting home pretty late so I made one of my favorite go-to dinners for him.

When I was a little girl, my mom used to make what I called 'meatfull' spaghetti. And I continue to ask for it by the same name to this day. It's the perfect weeknight (or, in this case, weekend) meal. It's just as good warm as it is cold. And, in my humble opinion, I think it actually gets better the longer it sits. It's spicy and sweet and just meaty enough. It's dead simple but simply delicious.


Mom's 'Meatfull' Spaghetti

1 pound spaghetti
Salt
1 package sweet Italian sausage, taken out of casings
1 medium onion, chopped
4 cloves garlic, chopped
1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1 jar of your favorite spaghetti sauce - or an easy homemade version, like Marcella Hazan's classic
Black pepper, to taste
Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese

Boil a large pot of salted water and make spaghetti according to the instructions on the package. Heat up a large skillet, add Italian sausage and cook until browned. After about 5 minutes, throw the onion and garlic into the pan and give it a good stir to ensure the rendered fat from the sausage coats the onions and garlic. After the onions start to soften, add both of the peppers and cook for about a minute. Finally, add the sauce and bring to a boil. Once boiling, turn the sauce down to low to keep it warm. After the pasta is cooked to al dente, drain it and add it to the skillet with the sauce. Mix well and serve with the cheese.

No comments:

Post a Comment